This Case Manager interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best case managers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Case Manager Interview Questions
Case management in a healthcare setting is a cross-disciplinary practice. Your candidates will have varying specialties, and they’ll come from a variety of backgrounds including nursing, social work, medicine, workers’ compensation, and mental and behavioral health. The role will vary from company to company as well. The following questions function as a starting point, not a script. Feel free to add your own questions tailored to the exact working environment of the job.
For this position, a specific knowledge base is less important than the values demonstrated by your candidates. On top of clinical skills, compassion, empathy, patience, perseverance, caring, and advocacy are extremely important for this role. In addition, the role of a case manager increasingly calls for leadership and teamwork skills. This is crucial as case managers must be able to coordinate care with the patient’s entire care team including physicians, specialists, hospitals, families, payers, community resources and more.
These questions are written to encourage candidates to give you as much detail as possible about their relevant knowledge, training, and expertise. The most promising candidates are thoughtful and will ask you smart, spontaneous questions of their own.
Operational and Situational questions
- What training or experience has prepared you to excel in this role?
- What specific interests or specialties do you have in case management, if any?
- Walk us through your typical day at work.
- What information do you need to have to create the patient’s health care plan?
- How do you manage transitions in a patient’s health care plan?
- How much negotiation do you have to do on a day-to-day basis?
- How would you rate yourself on providing necessary information to a patient’s entire care team?
- Describe a time you worked with members of a patient’s care team to achieve a significantly successful outcome.
- Described a time you communicated complex medical information to patient in a way that was easy for them to understand.
- How do you work with your patient to evaluate the care they received while in the hospital?
- How would you minimize your patient’s time in the hospital?
- What is your experience with helping families arrange long-term care for patients?
- Recall a time you had to manage conflicting priorities.
- In what ways have you demonstrated cultural sensitivity?
- What’s stressful about being a case manager?
- How do you demonstrate leadership in this position?
Download this sample as Pdf Document
Examples of Case Interview Questions
Management Consulting, Finance, and other industries using case interviews typically include business cases or other analytical questions. Here are some types of questions.
- A client is experiencing declining profits and sells gourmet coffee in Lexington. How can they approach this?
- We have a client whose company is experiencing issues with cash flow and needs to do a reduction in force or manage its costs- what would you recommend?
- How would you approach an opportunity to buy a business? Assuming money was not an issue, what criteria would you use to evaluate whether to purchase it and how to value it?
- We have a company who needs a good turnaround person to help save it. Where would you start and how would you proceed?
- One of our clients is experiencing a decline in business because one of their competitors has decided to enter the market with a similar product. How would you approach this issue as a consultant to the client?
- How many greeting cards do you think Hallmark sells for Mother’s Day?
- What types of issues would you anticipate if you are given a start-up to grow? How would you evaluate market size?
Preparation and Research: resources to help you prepare for your case interview
Preparation is key to the case interview!
- Bloomberg, Hoovers, CEO Express, and various business journals to conduct your research and develop questions. You should also review the company’s annual reports and financial information, as well as recent Form 8-Ks and 10-Ks. Additionally, social media sites, like LinkedIn and Twitter, are great for gaining additional insight into a company and its culture.
- Vault and Glassdoor for reviews of companies, interview questions, and more!
- 101 Most Common Interview Questions with Pass or Fail Answers, including the top 10 questions asked when interviewing with Google, Coca-Cola, Atlassian and other companies.
Source: Kathyrn Vercillo
Practice: resources to help you practice your answers to case questions
- Vault – Sample Interview Questions: Consulting
- YouTube Case Interview Channel
- Deloitte: Interactive Practice Cases
- com YouTube channel
- Oliver Wyman Group
- The Boston Consulting Group
- Bain & Company
- Kaiser Associates – Case Interview Workshop
- Management Consulting Case Interviews (check out the free resources on the site)
- Case Questions (check out the different categories, and particularly the “Exchange”)
- Sample Questions by Type
- McKinsey Practice Cases(optimal for management consulting and finance roles)
- HBS Case Interview Guide & Tips (contains lots of useful frameworks for answering questions)
- PrepLounge is a case interview community, focused on management consulting, where candidates with similar career goals get connected, practice cases and sharpen their consulting skills. PrepLounge has video cases, cases students can practice, a community where folks can find each other and practice together, and brain teasers, quant teasers, etc.
Additional Reading: books you can read to help you prepare and practice
- Ace Your Case II!: Consulting Interview: The WetFeet.com Insider Guide (Insider Guides Series: Company Insider), WetFeet (2011).
- Case Interview Guides in the WetFeet Series (ex. Market Sizing, Business Strategy, Business Operations Questions,
- Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation, Marc P. Cosentino (2013)
- Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting, Victor Cheng (2012)
- Crack the Case System: Complete Case Interview Prep, David Ohrvall (2011)
- How to Get into the Top Consulting Firms: A Surefire Case Interview Method, T. Darling (2009)
- Mastering the Case Interview: The Complete Guide to Consulting, Marketing, and Management Interviews, Alexander Chernev (2011)
- Vault Case Interview Practice Guide, Jim Slepicka (2003)
- Vault Guide to the Case Interview, Mark Asher (2007)
Final Tips for Case Interviews
- Always explain the rationale behind your responses to questions to show employers that you have a grasp on business strategy in problem-solving.
- Seemingly “ridiculous” questions may be testing your ability to analyze and reason through a situation/problem.
- If you are asked quantitative questions during interviews, such as calculating yield-to-maturity, costs of capital etc. the interviewer is trying to evaluate your analytical skills and how you approach answering these types of questions.
- Some companies use a Super Day interview format.
- For an upper-level finance position, additional questions may focus on business strategy or philosophy.
Information from “Corporate Finance Interview Questions,” by Elizabeth Johns.